Bacon Bark

Bacon Bark by Farmhouse38.comI have lured you here with the sweet siren song of bacon….further elaboration on this recipe is probably not required.  So let’s cut to the chase, shall we?  Okay then.

To make one batch, you will need:

-2 packages store-bought bacon, cooked the way you like it (I prefer crisp, and I think it works best in this recipe that way)

-2 sticks unsalted butter

-1 cup brown sugar

-Two 12 oz packages semi-sweet chocolate chips

-approx. 2 tablespoons Bacon Salt (see recipe below), or sea salt

For the Bacon Salt:

–1.5 tablespoons grey sea salt or whatever sea salt you prefer

-1 package bacon

Bacon Bark from Farmhouse38.com

Bacon Salt. When salt salt just isn’t cutting it.

Cooking the bacon:

To cook large quantities of bacon, I prefer to throw it in the oven rather than fry-pan-it.  Line your baking sheets (two packages of bacon will probably require four baking sheets), with tinfoil and put them in a cold oven.  Turn it to 375 and then cook anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how well-done you want it.  Keep an eye on it.

Once your bacon is cooked how you like it, remove it from the baking sheets and let it cool off sandwiched between layers of paper towel to soak up the excess oil.  Help it a bit by mopping it off with the paper towel, too.  You really want as much oil off as possible.

Once it has thoroughly cooled, separate out one package-worth to make the bacon salt. Throw it in a food processor and pulverize it into very fine pieces.  Add your 1.5 tablespoons of sea salt, process for a moment, and then store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Take your remaining two packages-worth of cooked bacon and put in a food processor and process till you have smallish bacon bits (or as small or large as you want it).  I find that smaller pieces of bacon work better for this.

To make the bark:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a standard cookie sheet with tinfoil (if you want thinner bark) or a smaller baking dish (if you want thicker bark).  I use heavy-duty tinfoil, as normal tinfoil can be a bit tricky to peel off afterwards.

Spread your bacon bits in an even layer across the bottom of the pan.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt your butter.  As soon as it is completely melted, add the brown sugar, stir well and dissolve.  Let this come to a boil and stir it steadily.  It will thicken and darken, and you want to keep stirring the whole time–don’t let it burn.  When it is a nice caramelly brown color and kind of fluffy and thick (after about 5 minutes), pour it evenly across the bacon bits in the cookie sheet.

Pop the sheet into the oven for 5 minutes, then take it out and pour your two bags of chocolate chips evenly across the top of the caramel-bacon mixture.  Pop it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Take it back out of the oven and then use a spatula to gently smooth the schmelty chocolate chips out.

Now sprinkle about a tablespoon of bacon salt (or however much to taste) over the top of that.

Put the whole sheet in the freezer for a few hours to set.  Remove from the freezer, peel the tinfoil off, and break the bark into pieces to serve (I like to dust another layer of bacon or sea salt over the top here, too).

Store in refrigerator.

Bacon Bark from Farmhouse38.com

Bacony Barky Goodness.

Bacon Bark from Farmhouse38.com

It’s just really darn good.

48 Comments on Bacon Bark

1. Meredith
    November 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm (3 years ago)

Seriously. I have been convinced for years that nearly everything is better with brown sugar and butter. Or chocolate. Or bacon. But all four??? I think I just swooned.

2. Tina Anderson
    November 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm (3 years ago)

I love you. Thank you.

Seriously.

Bacon <3

3. Tilly's Nest
    November 19, 2012 at 1:49 am (3 years ago)

Oh girl! You had me at bacon! LOL! Thank you for linking up to the Down Home Blog Hop each week. I just love having you visit and returning the visit too.

• farmhouseK8
      November 19, 2012 at 4:32 am (3 years ago)

Hahaha–bacon is always the magic word!!! :-)

4. Jane @ Cottage at the Crossroads
    December 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm (3 years ago)

Hello! I’m visiting from thistlewood’s party and yes, you did lure me here with bacon! I cannot wait to try this. I think I have to get up from my ‘puter and go buy the ingredients right now!

• farmhouseK8
      December 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

Hahaha–thanks, Jane! Glad you came by! :-)

5. Tasha
    December 14, 2012 at 5:52 am (3 years ago)

I heard from a radio station that a super star loves this kind of bark…I forgot who it was. But can’t wait to try it

6. fortune cookie
    December 16, 2012 at 5:07 pm (3 years ago)

Is there a way we can copy the text or “printer friendly” version? Cuz…MMmm, MMM!
    I’ll have to make two batches just to have some to share!

• farmhouseK8
      December 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm (3 years ago)

I’m gonna have to look into doing something “printer-friendly” from now on–that’s a really good point. But for now–sorry! Never thought about it before you mentioned it–thank you for the heads up.

7. Renae
    December 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm (3 years ago)

I got a little leftover bacon from brunch this morning, think I will try half a batch since that is about what I have to go with for bacon. Just curious, did you drain the bacon fat? I guess I think that would be a necessary step…

• farmhouseK8
      December 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm (3 years ago)

Yes!! Definitely drain the fat–I cooked the bacon in a separate pan (I cook large amounts of bacon in the oven) before making the bark, so it had been patted dry, cooled, and then crumbled into bite-sized pieces. Have fun!!

8. Robert Salazar
    December 27, 2012 at 1:51 am (3 years ago)

It is too bad I am reading this the day after Christmas. I am kind of candy and cookied out. This does sound much better than the chocolate and peppermint bark I usually make. I can’t wait to try it! For those with printer issues you can copy the recipe then paste it in a word program and print it there or you can copy it and email it to yourself. Most email programs give you an option to print. Either way make sure you only copy and paste the text portions and not the pictures.

9. Carolina
    December 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm (3 years ago)

Good grief, this recipe is pure perfection.

10. Rebecca Knowles
    December 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm (3 years ago)

Does it need to be refrigerated if it’s not all eaten? Can you leave it out in that cute gift jar for a few days?

• farmhouseK8
      December 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm (3 years ago)

I’d keep it in the fridge–it is bacon, after all, and I just don’t think any good will come from leaving meat out on the counter for any length of time beyond a few hours! :-)

11. zookeeper12
    December 28, 2012 at 4:07 am (3 years ago)

Reblogged this on Recipe For A Wild Thyme and commented:
    This looks so unbelievably yummy, it’s worth saving here if for no other reason, so I can find it when I’m ready to dig in and make some of this craziness. DANG!

12. Mickey
    December 29, 2012 at 3:21 am (3 years ago)

I am so happy I almost cried!!!

13. Po' Girl Shines
    December 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm (3 years ago)

Found your site through the Urban Farm & Garden, yeah!

• farmhouseK8
      December 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm (3 years ago)

Welcome, welcome!!! :-)

14. Renae
    December 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm (3 years ago)

I made a batch of this this last week and I would make this again. Took it to a holiday gathering and received some good comments as well. (is there bacon in that stuff?) I will make one change in my method tho. I will either use a grill quality aluminum foil, or I will use some silicone baking mats that will probably allow for easier removal of the candy/bark.

• farmhouseK8
      December 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm (3 years ago)

You know–that’s a good point–I had actually used heavy-duty tinfoil and it worked great–I could see how normal tinfoil might be tricky with this….I should put that in the recipe! Thanks for the insight!! Glad everyone liked it! :-)

• Carolyn Cooper
        August 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm (2 years ago)

Spray the tinfoil with a non stick cooking spray and it will do great! Or just use butter…..that would definitely be best!

15. Residing In My Own Mind
    December 31, 2012 at 3:32 am (3 years ago)

Just made this and mine it is hardening in the freezer as I type this. I also added 2 TBS of bourbon to my butter/brown sugar mix for a little added kick. :) I’ll let you know how it turns out. Can’t WAIT to sample it!!

• farmhouseK8
      December 31, 2012 at 6:13 am (3 years ago)

YES!!! To bourbon! Genius!!! :-)

16. joy fradin
    January 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm (3 years ago)

ever the tinkerer, i — used only 1 pound bacon, added chopped walnuts and finely-cut candied ginger. simply divine. making the jalapeno chip cookies today. i’m sharing you with everyone.

17. mothlit
    February 13, 2013 at 12:20 am (3 years ago)

Um… orgasmic?

18. home, garden, life
    February 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm (3 years ago)

OMG! As much as I love all these ingredients, this recipe is a heart attack in a jar! Put a warning label on it! 😉

• farmhouseK8
      February 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

Oh, it really is–it’s so wrong in every wonderful way!!

19. Amber Morgan
    April 7, 2013 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

I just made some of those. It has chilled in the freezer for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. When I break it apart, it’s kind of flexible. It tastes awesome but is slightly chewy. Do you think maybe I dint let the butter and sugar cook long enough? Are there any other reasons it’s not as toffee like you can think of?

By the way – I used Pam olive oil spray on my pan because I didon’t have any foil. The candy came right out.

• farmhouseK8
      April 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm (2 years ago)

Huh. I have no idea–mine was pretty hard….maybe it was the Pam? No clue! Wish I was a bigger help!!

20. Jackie Fadel
    April 8, 2013 at 5:43 am (2 years ago)

What is it with bacon these days? Just a plate of bacon and eggs please. You don’t need to case it in sugar……………….Just a drip or two of maple syrup will do fine.

21. LINDA THEOBOLD
    August 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm (2 years ago)

I MADE THIS HALF WITH MILK CHOCOLATE AND HALF WHITE. AS MUCH AS I LOVE MILK CHOCOLATE, THE WHITE WAS EVEN BETTER. YUM!

• farmhouseK8
      August 17, 2013 at 10:46 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, I LOVE white chocolate–I’ll have to try that, for sure!! Good call!! 😀

22. andistra
    December 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm (2 years ago)

We have always done bark with saltine crackers on the bottom… I wonder if this would be too salty with them in it?

• farmhouseK8
      December 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm (2 years ago)

Maybe scratch the added bacon salt/salt at the end? Sounds good to me!!!! 😀

23. Tammy
    December 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm (2 years ago)

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! WOOT WOOT!!

24. Sharon Cooke
    December 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm (2 years ago)

I have some cooling in the freezer now! I’m taking it to a party tonight, alas, not a Seinfeld party, but it will be fun anyway! lol I hope I did everything right!! Thank you!!

25. Sharon Cooke
    December 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm (2 years ago)

oops, please don’t post that, I will rewrite it without the Seinfeld reference….I’m making cream puffs too, and that reference was on their page! ooopsy!!! Sorry!! I do have bacon bark cooking in the freezer right now, hoping for the best!!

26. Sharon Cooke
    December 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm (2 years ago)

“cooling”….I feel like a goof now…. I need to stop….

• farmhouseK8
      December 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm (2 years ago)

LOL–Sharon!!! 😀

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Bacon Bark

1. […] Bacon Bark ~ If one could locate a nice vintage looking tin to present this in so much the […]

2. […] not even sure how I found this recipe.  I have never even heard of Bacon Bark before I stumbled on Farmhouse38′s and thought, “Oh Yes! I have to make this!” It took me a while to,get around to it, but […]

3. […] Bacon Bark (what!? Yes, it’s true!) […]

4. […] the recipe!  It comes from another blogger here at wordpress.   You can find this delicious treat here.  I have not made this recipe yet, but I am sure I will soon.  The boys just loved […]